Re: how to start properly the X server at session start without the X menu?

On 20/12/2015 07:07, FrÃdÃric Bron wrote:
Hi,

I used to have the X server launched automatically when I start a new
windows session (windows 7). I had the following shortcut in my
Startup folder
Target: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
/usr/bin/startxwin.exe
Start in: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin

Then I was able to start any X program from command line. That woked
fine. By the way it seems that the DISPLAY environment variable was
127.0.0.1:0.0.

This does not work anymore.

I have found that in Cygwin-X menu, there is an Xwin Server shortcut
with the following:
Target: C:\Softs\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
"cd; /usr/bin/startxwin"
Start in: C:\Softs\cygwin64

This seems to work differently:
- the DISPLAY variable has to be just :0 to work from command line,
- there is an additionnal tray icon with X menu with many applications.

I do not want the menu and I would like to have again the X server
started automatically without manually change the DISPLAY variable.
How can I come back to the old behavior?

If you set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 than you need
  startxwin -listen
as '-nolisten tcp' is now the default

"startxwin.exe" was replaced by the script "startxwin"
for that the old shurtcut was replaced by the new one.

If extra program are started that you don't want
looks on the contents of
 ".startxwinrc"

Further reading:
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-10/msg00111.html