Re: 'list-packages function in Emacs 24.5.2 causes core dump

On 12/4/2015 6:37 AM, Matthew Eichler wrote:
Thanks Ken.

Running emacs with the -Q switch has shown me that this is an ELisp
problem with my init.el.  This is a problem on Cygwin but not on
ArchLinux (I synchronize this file accross all my Unix instances
including VM's).

The problem is this section, where, if I comment out adding the
Marmalade repository to the package manger, then 'list-packages works
oké, but of course, then I do not access all the repositories I want
when I use the packaging system:

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/";) t)
;; (add-to-list 'package-archives
;;            '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";) t)
(package-initialize)

(defvar my-packages '(icicles
                       clojure-mode
                       cider
                       magit
                       rubocop
                       rspec-mode
                       el-spec
                       feature-mode
                       graphene
                       color-theme
                       password-generator
      dockerfile-mode))

(dolist (p my-packages)
   (when (not (package-installed-p p))
     (package-install p)))
(global-set-key (kbd "<f4>") 'list-packages)

Sorry, I still can't reproduce the problem. I created a .emacs file just containing the code you posted:

$ cat .emacs
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/";) t)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";) t)
(package-initialize)
(defvar my-packages
  '(icicles
    clojure-mode
    cider
    magit
    rubocop
    rspec-mode
    el-spec
    feature-mode
    graphene
    color-theme
    password-generator
    dockerfile-mode))
(dolist (p my-packages)
  (when (not (package-installed-p p))
    (package-install p)))

I then started emacs and ran 'M-x list-packages' without a problem.

Are you sure there's nothing else in your various initialization files that could be interfering with this? Don't forget about default.el, site-start.el, and .Xresources. ('emacs -Q' excludes all of these.)

I'm attaching the cygcheck.out file per instructions.

Thanks.  Nothing in it jumps out at me as problematic.

Ken