Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.3.0-0.4

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> There's, as usual, a downside: AuthZ leans a bit to the slow side.

It's not too bad, as long as your network connection is fast (and fast means
short roundtrip time for an AD query).  If I take each page fault as
reported by time as a proxy for an AD access, then it needs about three
times more roundtrips to the AD.

On a server with almost perfect connectivity to the AD that increases the
wall-time of listing a very large directory with directories/files from many
users (about a quarter of all users in the AD, and not all from the local
domain) from 8 to 10 minutes.  The CPU time as well as the network traffic
is neglible in both cases.

On my local laptop things look a bit different, a small ~5% subset of the
test above goes from 20s to 200s and a different larger ~10% subset from 50s
to 500s.  While that hurts, the more usual case with many files from the
same user doesn't feel any slower at the moment.  The access through VPN
will be interesting, though...

Regards,
Achim.