Re: Error accessing mapped drive >2TB?

On Oct 21 11:26, Warren Young wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2015, at 10:22 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 21 09:52, Warren Young wrote:
> >>
> >> I mean, I know how to snag a stream of SMB packets with Wireshark, but
> >> I donât know what Iâd be looking for in the dump.
> >
> > Me neither, the Samba guys might be able to help there, perhaps.
>
> Apple hasnât shipped Samba as part of OS X since 10.6, quite a few
> years ago now.  In 10.7, they switched to an internally-developed SMB
> server.

Yes, but the SMB guys can recite the wire format of SMB asleep, probably.
There's also
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365233%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

> [...]
> >  HANDLE handle = CreateFile ("P:\\", ...);
>
> I guess Iâm not seeing what values to pass to CreateFile() because I
> get an error with the values Iâm trying here.  Iâve put my fleshed-out
> test program here:
>
>   http://pastebin.com/BfN2fNBQ
>
> Its complaint is:
>
>   Bad handle: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
>   incorrect.  (0x7b)
>
> I double-checked, and P: is still mapped.

Opening a directory requires to use the FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS flag.
See the Remarks section of
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363858%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Oh and, you have to use the FILE_FLAG_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT flag, of
course.

This might be the difference to Explorer.  If the server accidentally
returns the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT flag only if the dir has been
opened with FILE_FLAG_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT, Explorer would never see
this.  In contrast to Cygwin it's not interested in the fact whether
the dir is a reparse point or not.

Corinna

Red Hat