Re: Sshd behaving strangely...

>> Please teach your mail agent to not break threading.

Sorry for this. Yes, this particular mailer is really bad,
I'll have to re-register with the Cygwin mail list from
a better one.

>> This is a different issue, judging from the error message.
>> [...]
>> A verbose log of the same connection from both server
>> and client may help.

I've attempted a connection from another account on the machine
from which I could not do so previously, with ssh -v and...
it worked! I made a successful connection. So, then I went
back to the account from which I could not connect, ran ssh -v
and I got the following:

[...]
debug1: Offering RSA public key: /home/[user_name]/.ssh/id_rsa
Connection closed by [ip_number]

Aha! So it's my old RSA key that's the culprit here. I removed
it and this time the connection worked just fine!

In summary, it appears that it all works as it ought to right
out of the box. I configured sshd on the target machine with
the "-y" option, which, I presume, builds a default server
configuration.

My only suggestion would be that, if the connection is refused
the reason for refusal should perhaps be printed back to the
user, even without the -v option.

Many thanks for your help.

Zdzislaw (Gustav) Meglicki
Indiana University