Re: [TESTERS needed] New POSIX permission handling

Hi,

Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> Hi Ismail,
>
> On Apr 12 16:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Apr 12 06:21, Äsmail DÃnmez wrote:
>> > Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
>> aged
>> the
>> ACL

>> broken
>> Creating
>> >
>> > Hopefully this will shed some more light:
>>
>> It does, thank you.  The problem is the dreaded "owner == group" problem
>> introduced with these weird Microsoft accounts.  I completely forgot
>> about this while implementing the new code.  It's pretty tricky to get
>> the Windows ACL right for this.  Additionally the ACLs already created
>> by setup are... borderline correct only.  Back to the drawing board...
>
> I just applied a patch which is supposed to handle this owner==group
> scenario better.
>
> In short, Cygwin will try to handle POSIX user and group permissions
> separately, even if owner == group.  This is basically a fake as far
> as the actual permissions of the account are concerned, but it allows
> applications still to chmod to different user and group perms.  It
> just *looks* different in the end.
>
> The only restriction of this is that the POSIX user permissions are
> always changed so that the user perms are >= the group perms in this
> situation.  So this:
>
>   chmod 460 foo
>
> will be internally twisted into
>
>   chmod 660 foo
>

> I uploaded new developer snapshots to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> and I'm just uploading a 2.0.0-0.5 test release with this change.

I tested the new test release (rm -rfd the cygwin installation and
re-installed from scratch just to be sure), my original testcase with quilt
and mutt works, BUT now when I run make install inside mutt source it
complains that /usr/bin/install cannot change permissions on the destination
executables.

Now this is a pretty vague error report but it might take some time before I
can post an easily reproducable error. Because running the same command
myself gives no error whatsoever. I'll try to come up with a better report.

Thanks a lot!