Re: Recent x86_64 update broke administrator use of smartctl.exe

banshee wrote:
I have two windows 7 x64 boxes, one running cygwin x86 and the other x86_64. I run smartctl on both boxes. One can run smartctl as administrator or not, but it produces a fuller information set with admin rights. A recent change to the x86_64 cygwin has broken administrator use of smartctl as detailed below. It still runs fine on the x86 cygwin.

I'm not certain which version of cygwin broke the functionality, but it was working last week.

Any driver updates performed since then?
Do both machines have similar SATA controllers and drivers?

x86_64 running as ADMIN fails to run smartctl
$ /usr/sbin/smartctl.exe -a /dev/sda
smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [x86_64-unknown-cygwin-win7-sp1] (cygwin-6.3-1) Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: Input/output error

Could not reproduce this.

The Windows IO-controls IOCTL_ATA_PASS_THROUGH or SMART_RCV_DRIVE_DATA possibly return some unexpected error code. This is typically a SATA driver issue. The output of "smartctl -r ioctl,2 -i /dev/sda" should provide more details.

Could you possibly repeat the above test this with the "native" (non-Cygwin) Windows version of smartctl?

This is likely not a Cygwin specific issue. Smartctl does not use any Cygwin functionality to do ATA/SCSI pass-through access. Cygwin and native version of smartctl share the same code. We could continue the discussion by private mail or on smartmontools-support mailing list if desired.

Christian