Re: Non-privileged use can't logon

On Mar 11 19:47, Max Rockliff wrote:
> Ok.  Let's see if I can answer all your questions.
>
> I'm logging on with a password
> I'm running 32bit Vista Ultimate - Windows6.06.6002, Service Pack 2 (sorry, I think I said Home Premium before)
> I installed the 32 Cygwin using setup-x86.exe
> icacls c:/Windows/System32/userenv.dll produces the following
> 	c:/Windows/System32/userenv.dll NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(F)
>               	           		  BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX)
>                        	       	  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)
>                           	        BUILTIN\Users:(RX)
>
> For comparison the following is the output from an ls -l command on the same file, but it appears o be similar.
> 	$ ls -l c:/Windows/System32/userenv.dll
> 	-rwxr-xr-x 3 Max None 108544 Apr 11  2009 c:/Windows/System32/userenv.dll
>
> The local Windows account I'm using is call 'st' and it is a member of the Users group (which appears to have Read eXecute privilege, exactly the same as the local group, Administrators.  Hmmmm...

Thanks for the info.

> Any ideas?

Depends.  As for the actual cause why userenv.dll refuses to load, no.
It's just a simple LoadLibrary call, nothing fancy.  I just tried the
same scenario on my local 8.1 test machine and logging in with an
unprivileged account worked fine.

I tried to come up with a workaround for the problem, though.  I just
uploaded a new developer snapshot to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Just fetch the latest 32 bit cygwin1.dll,
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/x86/cygwin1-20150311.dll.xz

Unxz it, chmod +x it.  Stop all Cygwin processes.  In Windows Explorer,
open the C:\cygwin\bin directory.  Rename the original cygwin1.dll to
cygwin1.dll.ORIG.  Move the new cygwin1-20150311.dll into place and
rename it to cygwin1.dll.  Retry your scenario.  And please report back.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat