emacs server problem (was: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 1.7.34-6)

Ken Brown wrote:

> > > Reverting to cygwin-1.7.33 "fixes" it.
> >
> > Ken, can you take a look, perhaps?  I'm just not familiar enough with emacs...
>
> I can't reproduce it either. I think we need more details from the OP,
> including detailed step-by-step instructions, as well as attached
> cygcheck output (http://cygwin.com/problems.html). It might also be
> useful to see the ACL on the directory /tmp/emacs<uid> that the emacs
> server uses for its socket. OP, can we see the results of 'ls -l' and
> 'getfacl' on that directory? You might also try deleting that
> directory and letting emacs create a new one the next time it starts a
> server.

It definitely seems to be something to do with permissions.  In a standalone emacs I tried 'server-start' and got told that "The directory
`/cygdrive/c/Users/GJ/AppData/Local/Temp/emacs197609' is unsafe"

$ ls -ld emacs197609/
drwxrwx---+ 1 GJ None 0 Feb 22 01:39 emacs197609//

$ getfacl emacs197609/
# file: emacs197609/
# owner: GJ
# group: None
user::rwx
user:gdj:rwx
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user::rwx
default:user:gdj:rwx
default:group::---
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Administrators:rwx
default:mask:rwx
default:other:---

I tried setting the server-socket-dir variable to another, more private,
directory, but that didn't work (in a different way).  If I set the
variable to, say, ~/.emacs.d/server emacs does not give me an error
message when trying to start the server, but...
$ /usr/bin/emacsclient -t --alternate-editor=""
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
[...]
Starting Emacs daemon.
Unable to start the daemon.
Another instance of Emacs is running the server, either as daemon or interactively.
You can use emacsclient to connect to that Emacs process.
[...]
Error: server did not start correctly
Error: Could not start the Emacs daemon

Running on Windows 7, non-admin account.