RE: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7

Hi Corinna,

>> I ran your commands to recreate /etc/passwd and /etc/group
>
>Ideally passwd and group are set to "db" only for this, just to be sure.
>
>> (they now contain 1 line and 3 lines respectively - before it had
>> about 10 & 21 lines in each)
>
>Hang on.  getent group $(id -G) only returns three lines?  That's a bit
>weird.  How does the output of `id' look like?

I seem to get a couple of answers (see my response to Andrey).
I just ran it now and got 83 lines - it took a few mins.

>> To create a bash terminal window (from cmd) takes about 5-6 minutes.
>> cmd /v:on /c "echo !TIME! & C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /bin/echo "test" & echo !TIME!"
>> 11:01:20.27
>> 11:06:59.78 = 5:39.51
>
>With a running cygserver, how long did it take the second time?

About 1/10 of the second.

>Can you please check again with the cygwin test release 1.7.35-0.2?
>
>Two tests:
>
>- Set passwd and group to "db" only
>- Set passwd to "files db" and group to "db"
>- Both set to "files db"

Ok, running 1.7.35-0.2

cmd /v:on /c "echo !TIME! & C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /bin/echo "test" & echo !TIME!"
12:31:08.46
12:31:09.93 = 0:01.47

Settings = Both = "db"
About 1.65 seconds

Settings = group = "db", passwd = "files db"
About 1.65 seconds

Settings = group = "files db", passwd = "db"
About 1.50 seconds

Settings = group = "files db", passwd = "files db"
About 1.45 seconds

>I think I'm going to create another test version which adds debug output
>to get timings for the LookupAccountName and LDAP calls.  The long time
>this takes in some environments is really puzzeling me.
>
>Would you be willing to run such a test if I provide you with a debug augmented Cygwin DLL?

Yes, I can do that.