Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.35-0.1

On 2015-02-13 22:04, Warren Young wrote:

>> On Feb 13, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Denis Excoffier <cygwin@Denis-Excoffier.org> wrote:
>>
>> I tried (according to the new documentation):
>>
>> db_home: /%H/%U/cygdir
>>
>> and that was fine but %H was replaced by the
>> /cygdrive/C/Document and Settings/<user> prefix
>
> I donât think you should use %H when that directory might contain spaces.  Itâs likely to cause many problems.

You misunderstand. I don't need this stupid 'Document and Settings' thing. I need %H to represent my home dir, that means
/cygdrive/d/Home/myuser1 on this XP P3 (a corporate one) and /cygdrive/c/Users/myuser2 on this W7 (another corporate).
That way, using %H/%U/cygdir under both architectures would generate the right thing.

But currently, on XP SP3, the %H is replaced by '/cygdrive/d/Document and Settings/myuser1' which i'm pretty
close to consider as a bug. Should be '/cygdrive/d/Home/myuser1' i suppose.

> I may be misunderstanding your desire.  If you actually want Cygwin home directories under c:\Documents and Settings, you can combine nsswitch.conf settings with a custom mount point in fstab to avoid the need for spaces in $HOME:
>
>    C:/Documents\040and\040Settings /home ntfs binary 0 0

Good idea (a symlink would also do the job wouldn'it?) but i really don't need this. I don't like spaces in filenames either: they don't fit nicely in makefiles.

Regards,

Denis Excoffier.