Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-003

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I released another TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin release.
> The version number is 1.7.34-003.

For almost an year I have used, on Win7 U 64 and Cygwin 64, an USB key (to backup my Cygwin HOME), formatted NTFS, both with Cygwin 1.7.33 (i.e. using /etc/{group,passwd}) and test Cygwin (like 1.7.34 using only a default nsswitch.conf). On this USB key the files and folders had alway owner âangeloâ and group âNoneâ.

Now I  reinstalled from scratch Win7 U 64 (the same, only I used an usb bootable instead of CD/DVD), and so reinstalled Cygwin64.

To reinstall Cygwin 64 I did this:

1. Installed the default (next, next,.. in setup-x86_64.exe), i.e. Cygwin 1.7.33
2. I didnât start Cygwin but with Explorer I renamed /etc/group in /etc/group-save and the same for passed.
3. Copied nsswithch.conf from my backups (it contains the default)
4. Restarted setup-x86_64.exe and installed the test release, i.e. Cygwin 1.7.34.

Now on that USB key the files and folders have owner âUnknown+Userâ and group âUnknown+Groupâ. I have also some difficulties in having full control. Sometimes I have to start MinTTY as administrator.

Are all these facts to be expected with 1.7.34 in a new reinstallation of the OS?

For example, when I use that USB key on OS X (which can only read NTFS partitions), the files have owener âangeloâ and group âstaffâ as on my OS X HOME.

To summarize, the same USB key has:

                        OS                                                      OWENER              GROUP

Cygwin 1.7.33/34 before OS reinstallation                    angelo                   None

Cygwin 1.7.34 after OS reinstallation                    Unknown+User        Unknown+Group

OSX 10.10                                                                   angelo                      staff

Ciao,
 Angelo.