Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov  6 21:06, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov  6 20:51, Christian Franke wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov  6 19:34, Christian Franke wrote:
But why does
   mkpasswd -l (no host) -- adds a prefix
   mkpasswd -l THISHOST -- does not add a prefix
when the machine is in a domain? Not consistent, IMO.
That's right.  The reason is that the machine name is treated as a
foreign machine.  In theory, this should always generate names
with prefixed machine name, but this is an entirely different
code path in mkpasswd/mkgroup.  I guess this should be fixed.

I wouldn't be unhappy about help...
I would only fix it back to the old behaviour (mkpasswd -l = no prefix),
sorry :-)

At my real job we run several build & test machines which are members of a
domain but use various local test user accounts (with no collision with
domain users due to name space rules). Loosing the ability to use
prefix-less local user names would break various existing test scripts
(which are also used on Linux).

Generated emails would have a from address with HOST+USER name part which
might give interesting results if the mail system somehow interprets the
NAME+EXTENSION address syntax...

So there are use cases where prefix-less local user names are needed. This
should be still supported, e.g. by mkpasswd -l, IMO.
But then... why not keep mkpasswd -L and use that instead?
On second thought, it's completely wrong to allow printing local
accounts from another machine without prefix.

I agree.

In theory there should be only one option -l [machine], which prints the
local accounts of the current machine unprefixed (standalone machine) or
prefixed (domain machine), and always prefixed for a foreign machine.
The -L option can just go away.

I disgree.

Why not keep the old behavior of -l/-L for user names of current machine for those uses cases which rely on it? Those users who are happy with prefixed local user names and non-prefixed domain user names would simply no longer need to use mkpasswd (which is good).

Package search shows 156 usr/bin/*-config scripts. How many of these use mkpasswd?

BTW: None of my Linux machines have local user names with own HOSTNAME as prefix :-)

Christian