Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

On 11/3/2014 1:03 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Corinna Vinschen writes:
Off the top of my head I don't know how hard that would be, but it
doesn't sound like an especially bad idea to me.  Au contraire.

It should be quite easy since the postinstall scripts are run in POSIX
sort order.

That's now what I see here, unless I'm badly confused about what POSIX sort order is. I did an update a few days ago in which the postinstall scripts were run in the following order:

update-info-dir.sh
autorebase.bat
wget.sh

Just give the script a name like 00001_autorebase.bat and
it should always be the first one that runs.

One thing we could test is if we can't get away without tweaking
setup.exe, by changing the dependencies only.  Right now _autorebase
requires rebase and dash packages.  Both are in Base anyway, but they
pull in more dependencies which result in something like a rat tail of
dependencies.  So I'm wondering if tweaking _autorebase' setup.hint file
like this:

Dependencies are not evaluated at all when installing or running
scripts.

But it would really be better to use triggers for these sort of scripts.
I have something implemented for my "perpetual" postinstall that does an
incremental rebase after each setup run, but it could be extended to be
controlled by setup.ini instead of a naming convention.

Ken