Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.1

On Oct 27 18:35, Habermann, Dave (DA) wrote:
> Loaded the test release here today and found that it seems to work as
> expected, both without the /etc/nsswitch.conf file (operates as
> before) and with both passwd and group set to "db" in the file.  Only
> two slightly negative observations I've made so far are 1) ps -ef only
> allows for 8 character UIDs, and thus longer UIDs (for example
> MyMachine+cyg_server) don't show up well

This was already a problem for some time.  I have a look into fixing this.

> and 2) the very first cygwin
> process I start seems to take a bit longer to start up now (in either
> mode) than before (7-10 seconds depending on the contents of
> nsswitch).  Perhaps this is possibly due to the fact that I'm
> accessing AD at some distance over a VPN?

This is very likely.  For this scenario it might make a lot of sense
to run cygserver, see the docs for this.

> However, the SECOND process
> and all subsequent ones seem to start significantly faster than before
> (THANKS FOR THAT!).

You're welcome :)

> Question:  In the documentation you indicate that "If cygserver is
> running it will provide passwd and group entry caching for all
> processes in every Cygwin process tree started after cygserver."
> Normally I have several processes (specifically sshd, cygserver, cron
> and httpd2) automatically start up as services when my system boots
> up, and I have not specified the order.  Would it now be desirable to
> have cygserver starting up first, followed by the others?  If so, what
> would be the preferred way to create such a dependency/startup timing?
> Would a service dependency be sufficient?

Now that you mention it... yes, a service dependency might be helpful.
Unfortunately it's tricky to automate this.  Is it possible to add
service deps after having installed a service?

> Thanks again for your efforts on this!

I'm glad if you like it,
Corinna

Red Hat