Re: "su" command removed / coreutils-8.23-2

Am 12.09.2014 06:13, schrieb Eric Blake:
On 09/11/2014 09:16 PM, Denis Mühle wrote:
Hello,

today i've updated my cygwin and now i have a big problem.  the "su"
command was removed.

https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00245.html

i need "su" to start my services as seperate user,
because i have a webinterface to manage my services for both Linux and
Windows and it needs the "su" command.

  - will the "su" command  come back to cygwin?
I've debated about reviving 'su' as it was in coreutils 8.15 into its
own package, unlikely to ever be further updated (except maybe
recompiled as needed), but that takes work and free time, so anyone else
is more than welcome to attempt it first.

it would be very very nice, if someone there who can do this.

i have a "win2008" server for gameservers, some people have access to "FTP" and "web-interface" to manage the gameserver. ( start/stop/cronjob/ etc.. ) i'm trust those people, this not a problem. but nobody knows if they have a spyware.

now without "su" the servers are running with "administrator", i'm very unhappy with this situation now .

  - or is there a alternative workaround? ( without password /  login )
You could always compile it yourself, from the 8.15 sources as patched
downstream for cygwin.

yep maybe, but i have no knowledge in this...

i found maybe a possible workaround, but the problem i have is the "Password prompt"

@  /bin/su:

1.)
#!/usr/bin/bash
echo "thePassword" | runas /savecred /user:${1}  ${2}

or

2.)
#!/usr/bin/bash
echo "thePassword" | login ${1}  ${2}