Re: latest cygwin: 'run' problem

On 2014-09-09, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Gary Johnson!
>
> > I wrote a batch file and a shell script to implement a Run Bash Here
> > feature from the Windows file manager "Send to" context menu, much
> > like chere but without having to mess with the registry.  The
> > hardest part was getting the quoting in the run command line right
> > so that both cmd and bash were happy.  The files are included
> > in-line below.
>
> That's overengineered.

Perhaps.  I know very little about Windows cmd shell programming, so
I tried to pass the file name to bash early in the process and
perform any logic there.

> > ------------------------ run_bash_here.bat -------------------------
>
> Replace it all with this "bash-here.cmd" placed in /bin :
>
> @START "" /D "%~1" "%~dp0\mintty.exe"
>
> > ------------------------- run_bash_here.sh -------------------------
>
> This all is just not needed.
> Just create a shortcut in "Sent to" to your bash-here.cmd - job done, reap the
> rewards.

Thanks very much for the example.  It took me a while to figure out
what that does.  I copied that line to bash-here.cmd and created a
shortcut to it from my SendTo directory.  It almost works, but there
are a few things my version does that yours does not.

First, yours works only if you execute it while the target directory
is selected in its parent directory.  Mine also works to run mintty
in the current directory if you execute it while a file in that
directory is selected.

Second, my version runs a login shell which sets up the environment
correctly, e.g., puts /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin: at the head of PATH.
Just telling mintty to run a login shell isn't sufficient, however,
because that also sets the current directory to your home directory,
so you then need to cd to the target directory with the target path
translated to Unix form.

Those issues may be easy to fix, but as I said, I don't know my way
around cmd very well.

It might actually be better if the script always started bash in the
parent directory of the selected file.  That would be more
consistent and could be simpler to implement.  I'll try to find an
explanation of cmd parameter expansion and see what I can figure
out.

Regards,
Gary