Re: emacs 24.3.1: output from async-shell-command is not always displayed

On 6/17/2014 2:22 PM, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
Here are the steps to reproduce.

M-& echo "sleep 1; ps &" > /tmp/1.sh

Then M-& /tmp/1.sh (few times).

On my machine, sometimes it gives the output in the *Async Shell
Command* buffer, sometimes not.  Without "sleep 1" the output is
displayed almost always.

M-! /tmp/1.sh displays the output always.

I'm seeing something different, but I'm running a pretest of emacs-24.4 rather than emacs-24.3. I find that the output is never displayed, with or without "sleep 1". But if I remove the "&" from 1.sh, then the output is always displayed (again, with or without "sleep 1"). Could you try installing the test release emacs-24.3.90-1 and see if you get the same results I'm getting?

I don't know if there's a bug here or not. If there is, it's not specific to Cygwin; I get the same behavior on Fedora 20.

Do you have a use case for wanting to call asynchronously a command that's already running asynchronously (because of the "&")?

Ken