Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: getent-2.18.90-2

On May 16 15:31, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Works for me with the 2015-05-14 x86_64 snapshot.
>
> However, note that
>
>  > getent passwd
> and
>  > getent group
>
> output duplicate lines for some users/groups:
>
> > getent group | wc
>      18      31     731
> > getent group | sort -u | wc
>      15      28     587
> > getent passwd | wc
>       9      13     677
> > getent passwd | sort -u | wc
>       6       9     437
>
> Bug or feature?

Feature.  Quote from my preliminary documentation (attached):

  Please note that getpwent/getgrent do *not* test if an account was
  already listed from another source, so an account can easily show up
  twice or three times.  Such a test would be rather tricky, nor does
  the Linux implementation perform such test.

For the full description of the new, very configurable "db_enum" setting
in /etc/nsswitch.conf, see the chapter called "The /etc/nsswitch.conf
file"

Corinna

Red Hat