Re: no syntax highlighting in cygwin / vim

"syntax on" does not seem to be supported in the Cygwin version of
vim.  When I include this in my .vimrc file, I get the following
error:

     $ vi -u .vimrc .vimrc
     Error detected while processing /home/gstrycker/.vimrc:
     line   11:
     E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: syntax on
     Press ENTER or type command to continue

Also, I tried to make a /usr/share/vim/vimrc file, but it does not
seem to be loading automatically.  Do I need to add something to my
path, or an environment variable (e.g. "vimpath"?) or something?

Note that there is a similar thread to these questions here:
http://superuser.com/questions/505761/how-to-get-vim-color-mode-to-work-in-vim-under-cygwin