Re: make error: *** target pattern contains no `%'. Stop.â

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:
> Am 01.05.2014 04:09, schrieb Richard H. McCullough:
>>
>> ... In the last week, "make" suddenly
>> changed -- it does nothing but stop on every makefile.
>
> Sounds like you changed your PATH and have a different (non-cygwin) version
> of make now.
> What does `type make` say?
>
> ---
> Diese E-Mail ist frei von Viren und Malware, denn der avast! Antivirus
> Schutz ist aktiv.

I have seen two things mess up my makefiles in the past.

1) tabs converted to spaces (and vice versa).
2) CRLF instead of LF line separators, or mixed CRLF and LF line separators.

Both of these defects are normally invisible. I have used cat -A or od
-c to help detect these editor induced errors. dos2unix can fix line
endings. An editor with visible whitespace and selectable line endings
options and regexp search and replace can help with fixing tabs.

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada