Re: Wow, just hit RCS bug

In message <87bnw12nuu.fsf@Rainer.invalid>you write:
>tednolan@bellsouth.net writes:
>> Just for the record, the suggested env var fix
>>
>> RCS_MEM_LIMIT=0
>>
>> to "force stdio" does not work for me, but the
>
>That was never suggested as a fix, but to show that the problem occurs
>with files much less than 256kiB size when forcing the code path through
>stdio (which is what the "0" setting does).  The RCS test suite passes
>on Cygwin since it never actively tests this code path.
>
>http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/142346
>
>> RCS_MEM_LIMIT=10240
>>
>> to allow 10megs of diffs does..
>
>Which will fail once you happen upon a diff that gets that large.

Ah, OK -- I was just looking for a fix or workaround and didn't read
what the "=0" was supposed to do closely enough.

I can't see ever getting up to 10M of diffs, but still I consider
it an "existential" level bug for a version control system and think
the package should be removed.  It's almost as bad as if "ls -l foo"
unlinked "foo".