Re: get rid of getpwent? (Was: cygwin-1.7.28 getpwent header declaration changes ?)

On Feb 12 16:37, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:59:31PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >There's only one tiny problem.  Whatever I think about the full
> >enumerate being right or wrong, I have this vague feeling that I'd like
> >to have this implemented fully at one point.  My cat disapproves, but we
> >can't agree on everything, I guess.  Another configuration option in
> >/etc/nsswitch.conf might comfort her.
>
> I don't know if this has been mentioned but would a cache help here,
> i.e., nscd?  I think that's how Linux deals with this type of situation.

Caching is wonderful for the usual requests for single entries from the
DB, and for this we have already two caches, the LSA cache and Cygwin's
own cache.  But caching doesn't help at all when enumerating.

There's also the problem to rely on an external program.  If it turns
out that the current implementation is too slow, I'm prepared to add
caching to cygserver to have a system-wide caching server, but Cygwin
shouldn't *require* that cygserver runs.  And either way, it still
wouldn't help when enumerating all accounts.

Corinna

Red Hat