Re: setup.exe different packages

On 1/29/2014 11:24 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Chris J. Breisch <chris.ml <at> breisch.org> writes:
No, I don't agree with that statement. I'd be more inclined to believe
that it's a bug in the command-line interface that doesn't allow you to
do what the GUI does.

You can disagree all you want, the source of setup makes it pretty clear
that all packages in category Base must always be installed, regardless of
any other choices the user made.  And that's in fact what the GUI does too
(it goes through exactly the same code path), only that you're later able to
deselect the "binary" package without setup checking for whether you do this
on a Base package (note you can't uninstall or skip a Base package, so that
you can defeat this via other means is the bug I was talking about).

While I won't comment on whether this feature of the current setup is a
good one or not, it was an intentional addition meant for the power user.
It apparently is not reflected in the command line interface and shouldn't
be used as a common installation technique.  Circumventing the normal
dependency checking done by setup has the very real potential of leaving
you with a broken installation.  I believe this is the reason Achim calls
this feature a bug in setup's GUI.  If you want a working installation
and you aren't willing to deal with the problems this feature of the GUI
may present, don't use it.

I hope this explanation helps clear up the question of why there could be
a difference in the installation size depending on mode used.

--
Larry