Re: Reduce noise in dependency declaration during uninstall in setup.exe

On 1/23/2014 10:57, Achim Gratz wrote:
Warren Young writes:
I've run into this after installing everything yesterday for my "size
of Cygwin" research project.  Now I'm trying to remove most of that
piece by piece, but I keep getting tangled in dependency webs.

In that case (and unrelated to the problem you noted with setup.exe) you
might just look up which packages were installed since you've started
that experiment (ls -lrt /etc/setup) and uninstall all of those past
that date threshold.

There are 5,786 packages in Cygwin, and the pre-test state was closer to 1,000. Making several thousand "Uninstall" selections isn't much of a solution.

I ended up doing the reinstall-and-merge.

I told myself that it was about time I got my Cygwin 32 directory named c:\cygwin32 instead of c:\cygwin, since I've also got Cygwin 64 installed.

Plus, there was an awful lot of cruft in that old tree. Part of the problem was obsolete empty packages like g++-4, which setup.exe was told were part of my dependency set, but which it couldn't remove. Once I started hacking on installed.db, I knew it was time to nuke and pave.