Re: Reduce noise in dependency declaration during uninstall in setup.exe

Greetings, Cliff Hones!

> I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I suspect the problem with
> maintenance/extension of setup.exe is twofold: firstly, it's a non-Cygwin
> program and secondly it is large and not well structured.  Also, the original
> implementer/maintainer has long since left the Cygwin community.

The fact setup is a non-Cygwin application is actually intended goal.
This way it can actually install and, which is more important, update Cygwin.

> One solution to this would be to reimplement it as two separate parts - a
> non-Cygwin envelope (which could even be installed as an msi) and a
> Cygwin-based package maintainer.  The Cygwin-based part would be a
> completely separate Cygwin installation, with its own cygwin1.dll,

I call Occam's razor. You are trying to replace a single application, which
already exists and works quite fine with a set of applications, that do the
same, as well as potentially cause a headache to the user, if accidentally
mishandled.
All setup is really need is more APT-like mechanics of package dependency
handling. That's all. What it already does, it does pretty much sufficiently.
Also, don't forget, that heavy part of installation/update process is enclosed
in postinstall scripts, which are run in Cygwin environment.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...