Re: AdminCygwin Release

Tom Schutter writes:
> 1) Modify cygwin_setup_config.bat to match your site requirements.
> 2) Copy cygwin_setup.bat and cygwin_setup_config.bat to a target host.
> 3) Run cygwin_setup.bat on the target host.
> 4) Repeat 2 and 3 on your other hosts.

I've been doing something very similar for a while now, with a few
modifications that mainly have to do with the fact that I can't expect
all hosts to have internet access and the requirement that an install,
update or re-install must be possible by executing a single executable
or script.

At the moment I'm working from a full internal mirror, but the plan is
to eventually download just those files that I will need to install
directly from an external mirror.  The required packages and the package
repos are listed in a setup.conf file.  This file has the information in
which order the package sources should be considered when multiple repos
offer the same package and finally the packages to install.  You can
also select test or prev versions on a per package basis or ignore named
packages from a certain package source.  You just need to list the
top-level packages (or entire categories if wanted), dependencies are
automatically pulled in.

Packages can be grouped into new categories, one of which will later be
used as the target for setup.exe to install (instead of listing the
individual packages).  From this I create a new setup.ini from the
contents of all package repos with just those packages that I need.
Lastly, all packages referenced by that setup.ini plus the install
scripts are copied to a software repository that all clients on the
network can access (it is also possible to put the whole thing on a USB
stick or DVD).

As in your scheme, since the actual install is done by setup.exe, the
resulting installation is indistinguishable from a "normal" Cygwin and
users familiar with setup.exe can modify package selections if they want
to as they are used to.  I consider this important and all the other
methods, some of which have been discussed in this thread, either don't
offer this possibility or require extra effort to maintain it.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: