Ok, then

Continued from "a ream of questions."

I pretty much already said I don't know what I'm doing, but that I had some ideas that might be interesting, for me this is not about being right but being curious and asking questions, it may surprise you that any viciousness presented is also welcome as long as there is a point to it. Not everyone has access to Google or the internet all the time either, and even with it, it took a long time for me to find just LS and Startx.

I did not suspect that Cygwin was or would be a distro. I suspected that if a New User were to come across cygwin then it might be possible to make the matter of being on either a command-line distro or windows with cygwin at least partially irrelevant with experience, and this does seem to be the case from the direction of those already educated in Linux. The people that I know who have experience as windows users who have tried cygwin have hit a fairly stout brick wall because of the learning curve. Basic questions stand with no clear answer and when they do the utility might be broken or require some obscure internals knowledge to get through.

If anything the only thing I am interested in through this entire inquiry is cutting through some of this acceptable obfuscation.