RE: C:\Windows\System32\drivers oddness

Corinna Vinschen sent the following at Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:32 PM
>On Dec 26 11:11, Max Polk wrote:
>> From the bash shell, sitting in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers
>> directory, when I run "ls" I can see about 6 files/dirs total. The
>> "etc" directory is mysteriously missing from the output of "ls", but
>> present in the output of "ld -ld etc".  Strange that I can't list it
>> with "ls", but I can list it with "ls -ld".
>
>You're running 32 bit Cygwin on 64 bit Windows. See
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384187%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Might it be possible and worth the programming effort for System32 and
SysWOW64, as appropriate, to automatically mounted via Sysnative by
cygwin1.dll?  (Not a request - and I cannot contribute a patch.)

I tried using mount (32 bit cygwin on 64 bit Windows 7 enterprise, v.
6.1) and couldn't get System32 and SysWOW64 to contain different files.
Could anyone suggest a mount command line or an /etc/fstab entry that
will do this?  Does it make a difference if /cygdrive has been mapped
to /?

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-07/msg00375.html has a work-around,
but I don't have admin privileges so cannot use it.

Thanks,

- Barry