sh.exe appcompatflags elevated privileges

On a fresh 32-bit cygwin install onto a 64-bit windows 7 machine, somehow sh.exe became a child node inside these two areas (or subtree areas) in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags

Causing it to require elevated permission to run. Each time I ran sh.exe manually, or via a script with /bin/sh shebang, even after several fresh installs, it popped up the user account control question asking for elevated privileges to run sh.exe. If you say yes, it opens in its own new console window. If you say no, you get permission denied.

The data for the key in each case seemed to hint that it was marked as having to run it with elevated privileges, or in windows xp compatibility mode. By deleting both keys, normal functionality was restored. I'm sure I didn't ask for that.

How it got this way is unknown, I had tried the 64-bit cygwin but couldn't do without clisp. Deleted, reinstalled 32-bit cygwin and it wouldn't work for the reasons above. Tried 2 more times, same thing. Since it lived beyond fresh installs, I finally tried searching the registry for "sh.exe". I removed the keys referencing sh.exe inside the areas listed above. Then things wouldn't run from emacs-w32 due to vfork problems and popen failure, so I had to ash rebaseall then all was well.

Shot in the dark, but it might have to do with me trying BitDefender free antivirus which actually blocked an exe I freshly compiled, so since it was really blocking too many Cygwin things I went to AVG free. So I'm sending this mostly as a reference of how I fixed it in case someone else runs into it. Could be a narrow failure case under just the right set of conditions with Cygwin as the victim and some third-party software as the culprit.