Re: C:\Windows\System32\drivers oddness

On Dec 26 11:11, Max Polk wrote:
 From the bash shell, sitting in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers
directory, when I run "ls" I can see about 6 files/dirs total. The
"etc" directory is mysteriously missing from the output of "ls", but
present in the output of "ld -ld etc".  Strange that I can't list it
with "ls", but I can list it with "ls -ld".
You're running 32 bit Cygwin on 64 bit Windows.  See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384187%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Thank you so much, that did the trick perfectly. Now the directory has a normal listing with the 64-bit Cygwin. That Windows magic was surely arcane and spooky. Also it's nice to see "TrustedInstaller" in my /etc/passwd and /etc/group instead of question marks for unknown now.