"Device or resource busy" during read (rsync)

I have a hard time believing this is an unusual question but I swear
I've been googling everywhere without an answer!  :)
I'm using rsync (under cygwin) to backup windows servers to a linux box
and it's working wonderfully, except that if a file is open rsync can't
access it even for reading.   I know some windows-based backup programs
don't have the problem so I'm hoping there's some way to avoid it in
cygwin.  I've looked at the cygwin mount options but don't see anything
obvious.  Is there a way around it?

Thanks for any help!!!
Rich