Re: Fwd: cygwin texlive problem

On 12/19/2013 12:47 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 12/19/2013 10:08 AM, Valerie Livina wrote:
Dear Prof. Ken Brown,
I apologise, I just sent the email unfinished - I continue it here.
I found your email in Cygwin mailing lists, and I understand that you
are an expert in TeXLive packages in Cygwin. I would be very grateful if
you could help me in my installation problem, or advise me who could I
contact regarding this.

Your mail should have gone to the Cygwin mailing list.  Please send any
followups there.

I have cygwin32 installed on my computer (running Window7 64-bit). I
installed cygwin32 because I need to use xmgrace, which is not yet
available in the 64-bit version.
I compile a tex-file with some glossary using fonts that are not
available in the default TeXLive package and get error message, which is
disccussed here:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/97123/problem-finding-metafonts-at-compilation

I understand that I have to install additional fonts, so I run again
Cygwin installer and add the recommended packages,
texlive-fonts-extra
texlive-fonts-recommended
I add these two packages in the Cygwin installer and then it suggests me
to choose a server for installation.

Are you running setup-x86.exe from the Cygwin website?  It should ask you to
choose a mirror very early in the process, not after you've selected packages.

I have spent two days already trying to get access to most of the
servers in the list, and none of them allows me to perform installation.
The status bar gets stuck in the middle of Progress, and after some time
the installer says that I have to choose another server. It keeps going
like this without installing the packages, as if theres is some general
problem with installation.
Would you please advise how can I solve this problem?

At what point does the installation get stuck?  Is it during the download?
And what's the exact error message that you get?

By the way, I don't think your problem has anything to do with TeX Live,
except that the packages you're trying to install are moderately large.  Do
you generally have problems downloading large files?

Also, it's always possible to navigate to the mirror in question (through a
browser, for example) and see if the package causing the problem can
successfully be downloaded that way.  I'm not recommending this as a
workaround really.  I'm just suggesting it as a diagnostic to try to
pinpoint what may be the source of the problem.

--
Larry