Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.3.1152-1

On 2013-12-06, Björn Kautler wrote:

> 2013/12/6 Christopher Faylor:
> > On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 06:07:17PM +0100, Bj?rn Kautler wrote:
> >>Do my messages come through at all?
> >>No-one answers or cares about this one. :-(
> >
> > Either it is this:
> > 1) http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJM
> >
> > Or maybe this:
> > 2) http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> >
> > Or maybe it is that this is a question has been asked and answered
> > repeatedly.
> >
> > Install the 'vim' package.  You likely only have vim-minimal installed.  We
> > don't know for sure because you didn't provide the details from 2).

> Hi Christopher,
>
> thanks for your reply.
> Do you really think it could be 2)?
> I didn't ask a question like "hey somehting is not working".
> But rather I found out where the problem is in the code and provided
> two proposed fixes, not knowing which one is appropriate.
> It is totally not depending on my installation, but on the sourcecode
> of the package.
> I could provide the information requested in 2), but I don't think it
> would help in this case.
> And yes, I have the "vim" package installed, not only the "vim-minimal" package.

This is apparently not a bug but a deliberate decision by the Red
Hat package maintainers.  I base that on the observation that
/usr/bin/vi and /usr/bin/vim on my Fedora 17 installation are
configured with those same system vimrc files:

    $ /usr/bin/vi --version
       system vimrc file: "/etc/virc"

    $ /usr/bin/vim --version
       system vimrc file: "/etc/vimrc"

It makes sense that Cygwin, belonging to Red Hat, would use the same
configuration as other Red Hat distributions.

(Please correct me if I've misstated the relationships between Red
Hat, Fedora and Cygwin.)

Regards,
Gary