Re: emacs-x11: new clipboard size limitation?

On 02/12/2013 12:13, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> I'm running emacs-x11 24.3.1 on
>
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 sbhc123 1.7.25(0.270/5/3) 2013-08-31 20:39 i686 Cygwin
>
> I used to be able to copy text from Emacs to Windows applications through the
> clipboard without practical size limitations. However, since my last Cygwin
> upgrade (which updated both Emacs and cygwin1.dll to the versions mentioned
> above) the clipboard seems to be limited in size. All I do is the following:
>
> - open a file containing ASCII text, amounting to like three printed pages of
> text
> - at the beginning of the buffer, press Ctrl-Space
> - at the end of the buffer, press M-w
> - switch to a Windows application (any that can handle unformatted text will
> do, use e.g. LibreOffice Writer)
> - insert the text using Ctrl-v
>
> stderr shows the following messages:
>
> winClipboardWindowProc - timed out waiting for WIN_XEVENTS_NOTIFY_DATA
> winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify - X*TextPropertyToTextList
> returned: XConverterNotFound
> winClipboardWindowProc - timed out waiting for WIN_XEVENTS_NOTIFY_TARGETS
>
> On the receiving end, the message reads something like:
>
> "Clipboard does not contain specified formatted data"
>
> Trial and error tells me that I can copy 6104 characters without problems.
> Trying to copy 6105 or more characters triggers the error. I'll try and see if
> this number is constant across reboots. Copying within Emacs, i.e. by yanking
> the text into a different buffer, is not affected. The problem persists if I
> start Emacs using the -q flag.

This looks like the same issue as reported in [1], so you might like to try
the snapshot from [2] and see if it improves things for you?

What you write does seem to support the theory that this is a regression in
select() in the cygwin DLL.  It might be useful if you could say what version
of the cygwin DLL you had when it was working correctly before you upgraded.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2013-10/msg00031.html
[2] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2013-11/msg00012.html

--
Jon TURNEY