Re: Cygwin's PHP & MySQL

Andrey Repin  wrote:

> wgc> I am attempting to learn php programming together with interfacing it to
> wgc> an MySQL server from an http web-page.
>
> Why you are doing it with Cygwin? There's a native MySQL server, native PHP
> and native Apache server, that works together very well.

You might as wel ask why am I using cygwin at all, since there's a proprietary Microsoft operating system and it works very well.

> What is Cygwin-specific in your aim, that you go into a trouble of running all
> the suite under Cygwin?

A posix environment is one thing, education, compatibility and transporting are some others.

> wgc> I ran into a fatal error.
> wgc> The httpd2 server logs shows the following message:
> wgc>  "PHP Fatal error:  Class 'mysqli' not found"
> wgc> The phpinfo() function has no mention of the mysqli extension.
> wgc> What do I need to do to get this important extension and install it in for my cygwin environment?
> wgc> Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Install native applications. Also, switch to PDO ASAP. mysqli_* family of
> functions isn't much better than mysql_* ones.
You apparently didn't understand my question.
It relates to cygwin and mysqli and my attempts to learn and build using it, and not Microsoft Windows.

> --
> Sincerely, Andrey Repin
> mailto:anrdaemon@freemail.ru
>
> Sorry for my terrible english...