Re: Seeking a suggestion for unattended mass install procedure

Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] writes:
> As far as they can tell, there is no such an installation option that
> tells to install "everything from the download directory".  What they
> do is that they run setup.exe to manually check everything from the available
> packages that they want to have installed on a PC, then they follow the option
> to download any left-over package dependencies, from which step setup.exe takes
> control and downloads / installs the selections.

There is an option for setup.exe to install a complete category.  To
make use of that you need to write a new setup.ini so that the packages
you've selected are members of that particular group.

> Now, they want to replay the setup unattended with using only those downloaded
> packages again, on any other new PC, without going through the selection process
> again, so basically to install everything that setup.exe has already
> _downloaded_ to a certain directory when run manually (where all the
> dependencies have already been satisfied, so the set is self-sufficient).

They may say that they want this, but believe me that they actually
don't.  There's always some machines that will need a different
selection of packages, if not initially then somewhere down the road.

> How / Whether can they do such an install?

If you really want to clone an existing installation, then copy over
/etc/setup/installed.db into the new installation root and do a
reinstall (there's no command line option for that).  Alternatively, set
all the versions in installed.db to zero and then let setup.exe do an
"update", which is the default.

Regards,
Achim.