fork() and NT error 0xC0000135 (STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND)

Hello All,

I can't find a similar problem reported earlier, so please excuse the question
if it looks familiar.

We have a software package that installs like a miniature CYGWIN deployment
(basically, only cygwin1.dll and just a few other libraries in /bin
along with cygrunsrv.exe), and there are no shells.

cygrunsrv.exe is used to register and launch a Windows service with a binary
located under "/opt/..." (which is a ported UNIX server).  The binary is started
just fine, but when it tries to fork(), it gets the error 0xC0000135 (w/ errno=11,
EAGAIN).  I traced it down to the fact that before fork() there is chdir("/") in
that server binary.  Can it be the reason for the failed fork() that it can no longer
find cygwin1.dll?  Unfortunately, I can't extend Windows PATH to include the
CYGWIN /bin directory (because the cygrunsrv runs under an unmanaged service
account).  Is there any other fix?

Thanks,

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI