emacs-24.3.1 crashes on talking to Google

I have a fresh installation of Cygwin and Emacs on Windows 8 Pro, which run on AMD A8-5500 (quadcore, 64bit). The versions are as follows:

Emacs 24.3.1
Cygwin 1.7.24

I have two problems with emacs. First, when I start it under X11, but not under KDE, it spews a message about not being able to connect to the desktop but comes up eventually after a while. It crashes eventually too, even if I don't do anything with it and chews up a lot of CPU while still alive. The w32 version works better and this is my default now. However, both versions, X11 and w32, crash on sending mail through Google. This worked nicely with older versions of Cygwin and emacs, which I used to run on Vista and Windows 7.

My .emacs settings for sending mail through Google, currently commented out, are as follows:

;; (setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
;; (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
;;       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
;;       smtpmail-starttls-credentials
;;       '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
;;       smtpmail-auth-credentials
;;       (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo")
;;       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
;;       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
;;       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
;;       smtpmail-debug-info t)
;; (require 'smtpmail)

Should I change something here? My fetchmail gets e-mail from Google too and this works fine. But I had to install my own version of fetchmail because the one provided with Cygwin didn't support SSL.

Greetings,
Gustav
Zdzislaw (Gustav) Meglicki
http://perth.ovpit.indiana.edu/