Re: regex library fails git tests

So, what I did now was this:  I added a workaround to Cygwin's regcomp.
If the current codeset is ASCII, the characters in the pattern are
converted to wchar_t by simply using their unsigned value verbatim.
This allows to compile (and test) the patterns in the git testcases.

However, please note that this behaviour, while being provided by glibc
and now by Cygwin, is *not* standards-compliant.  In the narrow sense
the characters beyond 0x7f are still invalid ASCII chars, and other
functions working with wchar_t strings won't be as forgiving when using
invalid input.

HTH,
Corinna

Thank you. I confirm that git passes the two test cases (t4018 and t4034) using today's snapshot. I will pass your comments about use of characters 0x80 and above to the git list to see if they wish to change anything.

Mark