Re: How does 'alternatives' find a file?

On 7/16/2013 2:46 PM, Henry Baker wrote:
I've had to create a cygwin tree from a circa 2011 tar dump, and I've
had  a devil of a time trying to make it work.

The biggest problem I have right now is that 'alternatives'-style
symlinks  don't work.

(The "!<symlink>"-style symlinks _do_ seem to work.)

Here's the page from the Users Guide with the information about the
different kind of symlinks:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#pathnames-symlinks>

Looking at the ones I have in /etc/alternatives, they are the first kind
listed (or the ones that you say work for you).  Make sure the DOS SYSTEM
attribute (and only that attribute) is set.  Also, if the tree doesn't
come from Cygwin 1.7 days and you're not using the same character set as
you were then, you'll need to recreate the symlinks to get them working
again.

--
Larry