Re: Postinstall Script Errors With Exit Code 128

On 5/29/2013 3:18 PM, Paul.Nickerson@desknetinc.com wrote:
cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com wrote on 05/29/2013 12:28:30 PM:

From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com,
Date: 05/29/2013 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: Postinstall Script Errors With Exit Code 128
Sent by: cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com

On 5/29/2013 12:04 PM, Paul.Nickerson wrote:

<snip>

I tried each of your suggestions, and they did not help it install. I
also
tried cygcheck again, and it did not run any better. Any other ideas?
I'm
at a loss right now.

This list has seen the occasional question about AWS and Cygwin in the
past
but AFAIK, no one active on the list is using AWS with Cygwin. My best
suggestion at this point is to consult the Amazon folks to get their
input. The fact that cygcheck doesn't run to completion really points
an issue outside of Cygwin proper, since cygcheck is a vanilla Windows
program.

--
Larry

I tried removing cygwin1.dll from the bin directory and re-running
cygcheck.exe, and it ran to completion. When I ran it, I got the below
popup and error, and I have attached the produced output, created with "
C:\cygwin\bin>cygcheck -s -v -r -h > cygcheck.out 2>&1". I got the error
after the Path: and before SysDir:.

---------------------------
id.exe - Unable To Locate Component
---------------------------
This application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

garbled output from 'id' command - no uid= found

Right.  That's expected.

Looking at cygcheck's source, it looks like after displaying "Warning:
cygwin1.dll not found on your path" or "Warning: There are multiple
cygwin1.dlls on your path", it runs dump_dodgy_apps() (which gives no
output when I get cygcheck to run through to completion), and then it runs
dump_sysinfo_services() (which gives the output "Can't find the cygrunsrv
utility, skipping services check." when I get cygcheck to run to
completion). So, I think that one of these functions hangs when
cygwin1.dll is present. I'm thinking dump_dodgy_apps.

Possibly.  You may have a BLODA problem (http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA),
whether known or unknown.  If so, getting rid of it will certainly help.

I tried copying cygcheck.exe to other directories and leaving cygwin1.dll
in bin, and cygcheck does not hang when run from other directories.

Interesting.  Maybe there's some Windows permission problems in the
directory you were running from?

--
Larry