sshd service will not start on Windows 8 (Enterprise) because the netlogon service isn't running

On Windows 8 Enterprise (free 90 day evaluation copy), 32 bit, Version 6.2 Build 9200 ( available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx ), using Cygwin 1.7.16, I cannot start the sshd service.  The root of the problem appears to be that sshd relies on the netlogon service to be running, and the netlogon service quits immediately after starting.

The event log says: (Event 3095, NETLOGON)
"This computer is configured as a member of a workgroup, not as a member of a domain.  The Netlogon service does not need to run in this configuration."

Attempting to start the service shows:
$ net start sshd
System error 1068 has ocurred.

The dependency service or group failed to start.

Is there a workaround for this?  I have been unable to find one.  I do not have a domain controller.

thanks!
-dan