Re: Strange "mouse" behavior in mintty

On 29/08/2012 3:15 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
On 14 August 2012 04:43, Ryan Johnson wrote:
On 13/08/2012 10:04 PM, Herbert Stocker wrote:
Hi Ryan,

On 13.08.2012 15:33, Ryan Johnson wrote:
Hi all,

I'm hitting a mouse-related (?) problem with mintty in non-mouse mode.

STC A: Log into a remote machine, invoke `sleep 10', and -- during the
wait --- click anywhere on the line containing the cursor.

STC B: Open tinyirc and click anywhere on the text entry line at the
bottom

Both cases will insert a long string like this:
^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C^[[C (only about 4x longer)
Did you notice that when you click somewhere in the command line, the
cursor moves
to that position? i think it has to do with that.

Go to the options dialog, select "Mouse" and uncheck "Clicks place command
line cursor".
The effect should go away.
Yes, that's the feature I was saying is probably related (see quote below).
I don't want to disable it because it's immensely useful... I just don't
want it dumping a mountain of ^[[C escapes at odd times.
The feature is a hack, which is why it's off by default. Mintty simply
sends the number of arrow left/right keypresses that it thinks should
take the cursor to the right position, whereby ^[[C is the keycode for
arrow right. Obviously this relies on the application handling such
keypresses in the expected way.
Fair enough. Perhaps we could have a mintty-specific escape so users can selectively disable it for those apps (like tinyirc) where it's a problem? Hack or not, I really like the feature and don't want to disable it globally.

However, are you finding that the arrow keys work where the mouse
feature doesn't? I think there is a problem with mintty here actually,
in that it doesn't take account of application cursor key mode when
sending those mouse events. (In that mode, the arrow left/right
keycodes change to ^[OD and ^[OC.)
I don't think arrow keys are recognized in either case: bash wouldn't process them until the command it's running completes, and tinyirc is not mouse-enabled AFAIK (it uses curses directly rather than the more sensible libreadline). But it does seem that ^[OC would be more appropriate to send in app mode.

Ryan