Re: Password prompts for remote system echoing and not attaching

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 29 August 2012 19:02, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 8/29/2012 12:58 PM, Mike Casile wrote:
>>>
>>> New install of latest cygwin (CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.16(0.262/5/3)
>>> 2012-07-20
>>> 22:55) on a new Windows 7 system. When I do ftp <host>  it prompts for
>>> uid, then
>>> prompts for pw (normal).  Problem is, password echoes on the screen ...
>>> and then
>>> it hangs and connection is never made.  If I do ftp -s:<script> <host> ...
>>> and
>>> the script starts with uid/pw ... it all runs fine. Same with pscp.  With
>>> putty,
>>> no problem because putty gets control and prompts for uid/pw itself.  I am
>>> thinking this is a config fat-finger on my part ... but I am out of my
>>> depth.
>>

>> You have two alternatives here:
>>
>>   1. Install the inetutils package so you're using the Cygwin FTP client
>>      (or pick an alternative Cygwin package offering your favorite FTP
>>       client).
>>
>>   2. Continue to use the Windows FTP client but only do so from a shell
>>      prompt started from cmd.exe (i.e. no Mintty, xterm, etc).
>
> Again: cmd.exe and console windows are different things. Invoking
> bash.exe (or tcsh.exe, or zsh.exe, or ...) directly from an Explorer
> shortcut or the Run dialog or whatever will work just fine, with
> Windows automatically creating a console window for it. No cmd.exe
> needed there.

Right, the issue is the PTY emulation issue that no one can do
anything about.  The Cygwin dependent terminal programs like mintty
and rxvt cause the issue because of the buffering used in the pipes
opened to native program.  The native programs do not flush properly
the I/O and thus you get garbage.  So therefore a native terminal
(a.k.a. console window) works because the buffering doesn't occur.

--
Earnie