Re: Side-by-side configuration is incorrect reported as permission denied

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:32:13AM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 08/10/2012 07:32 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 8/10/2012 7:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
I use Cygwin a lot. And I kick off Windows processes a lot. Recently
I've
been having a problem with my system but from Cygwin all I see is
"permission denied":

     Ltsdo-adefaria:cd /cygdrive/c/Program\
Files/IBM/RationalSDLC/Clearquest
     Ltsdo-adefaria:ls -l clearquest.exe
     -rwxr-xr-x+ 1 Administrators clearusers 245760 Jun  2  2011
     clearquest.exe*
     Ltsdo-adefaria:clearquest
     bash: ./clearquest: Permission denied
     Ltsdo-adefaria:

However if I use cmd the real error message comes out:

     Ltsdo-adefaria:cmd /c clearquest
     The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
     configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or
     use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I know that this "side-by-side configuration is incorrect" is a
configuration error on my machine and I need to fix it, but shouldn't
Cygwin's exec(2) report the "side-by-side" error instead of the more
erroneous "Permission denied" error?
Cygwin doesn't report Windows error codes.  It reports POSIX ones.  I
have no idea why there would be a POSIX error code for side-by-side
errors but if there were, then reporting that is more appropriate.
I thought that perhaps Cygwin would report back error *messages* not
just error *codes*...
Cygwin emulates Linux.  "Permission denied" is an error message associated
with a specific errno.  Neither Cygwin nor Linux know anything about a
"side-by-side" configuration problem.
Which is really all the more reason to output the Windows error message along with perhaps the status code. That is if the goal is understandability. If the goal is obfuscation then I'd say your well on your way to hitting your mark. ;-)
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Your child may be an honor student but you're still an idiot.