Re: best way to re-install and keep cygwin configuration

On 07/12/2012 09:09 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, LMH!

Totally unnecessary. If you've maintained your installation for quite some time, updating regularly, then setup cache contains lots of obsolete packages. Would be much, much faster to just burn it and download new setup.exe when you need it.

this sound to me that I made a mistake.
I typically when got a new pc, or a new installation of OS, just download setup.exe
and install "ALL" a/v package, in order to ease the future usage.
but now it typically takes 1 or 2 days to finish, considering also install cygwin port packages...
I'll install based on a "install-on-need" base...next time.

b.t.w., comparing with a "real" linux, like ubuntu, the current cygwin package maintenance tool
seems still in the raw stage , comparing with apt-get machanism ... not to complain..