Please try latest snapshot (was Re: 1.7.13/1.7.14: Issue with command prompt not returning when forking process)

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 11:15:42AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 04:09:51PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>>Okay, may be we should review our starting point.  Still one thing
>>>puzzles me: Despite the fact that no such guarantee can be made, it
>>>worked fine upto the 1.7.9/1.7.10 kernel releases.  If anything can be
>>>done to 'repair' it, this would be appreciated a lot (even if it were
>>>done via a registry-key).
>>
>>This is probably related to:
>>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-05/msg00081.html
>>
>>It is not likely to change.
>
>Actually, I had an idea over the weekend and made some changes to
>Cygwin's exec handling of non-cygwin applications.  So, the latest
>snapshot should revert this to 1.7.9 behavior.  There are still other
>lurking problems with non-cygwin processes that I need to investigate
>but that's for after the 1.7.15 release.
>
>Please try today's snapshot:
>
>http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Reposting with a catchier subject since it would be nice to get more
testing for these changes.

If you want to see boring commentary of my most recent change, you can
check out:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/DevNotes.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4&cvsroot=src

This file is mainly there to help organize my thoughts when making a
change and to help my future self when he tries to figure out why a
change was made.  It may be mildly interesting for anyone who wonders
why a change was done a certain way.

If you have the time, I'd appreciate hearing if this snapshot works ok.
I'm particularly interested in hearing about a problem if 1) you have a
pathological case where something like "cmd /c start ..." still doesn't
work right or 2) there is a regression from 1.7.14.

Thanks.

cgf