Re: Putting package directory in c:\Cygwin

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:02:54PM +0000, Andy wrote:
>>Putting the packages directly in c:\Cygwin is ill-advised because it
>>shows up in the posix directory "/".  It pollutes the directory with
>>millions of package folders.  But what if I create a folder
>>c:\Cygwin\LocalPkgs and stick them in there?  From the 10,000 foot
>>perspective, it certainly would be a lot more organized to have all
>>cygwin stuff in one windows folder.
>
>You can make a directory wherever you want.  There is no such thing
>as a "Windows folder" compared to a "Cygwin folder".  They are all
>just regular old Windows directories.

I meant the path as seen from bash command line.

Thanks for clarifying that the package folder can go anywhere.  I
should have reviewed the FAQ, which actually says that the cygwin root
directory should not be put into c:\ .

However, I decided not to put the package directory in c:\Cygwin
anyway, just to make it that much easier to blow away c:\Cygwin when
problems are encountered with Setup.  I won't go into details because
the problems I encountered got easily fixed exactly in this manner.

Just as a note for others, though, I had to delete the shortcuts that
launch a cygwin shell and have the setup program recreate them.
Not doing so generates errors about the shortcut being bound to
mintty, which couldn't be found.  Hopefully, this detail will save
some people a bit of time.