looking for informartion about directory names with trailing dots

I would like to understand how cygwin can manipulate directories with trailing dots.
I looked at some of the source code and it looks like the windows api's "GetFullPathName" and "FindFirstFile" are
being used.

But when I try and use those api's directly I cannot read the contents of directories with a trailing dot.

I was shocked that Java also does not support reading directories with trailing dots as well.

I'd appreciate an explanation or a place to look to read how cygwin accomplishes this.

Thanks

-rick